The recently restored, Residences at PS 186, is being awarded a Lucy G. Moses Award by the New York Landmarks Conservancy, during the 27th annual awards on May 11th.
The Conservancy is renowned for being a leader in preserving, restoring, and reusing New York City’s exceptional architectural legacy for more than forty years. Since 1991, The Lucy G Moses Preservation Awards have been regarded as the Conservancy’s highest honors in recognizing extraordinary contributions to preserving the history of New York. Hailed as a national model, the Conservancy has loaned and granted more than $40 million and provided countless hours of pro bono technical advice to building owners, along with saving over 2,000 buildings throughout the City and State.
The Residences at PS 186 is one of 12 projects receiving an award this year. Originally built in 1903 and abandoned by the education system during the mid-1970’s, PS 186 remained vacant and in a decrepit state for more than four decades. In 2014, the owner’s, The Boys and Girls Club of Harlem, were joined by Monadnock Development, Alembic Community Development and Dattner Architects to replace the buildings blight with beauty. Adler Windows joined the team a short while later as the projects window installer. The entire team was committed to restoring the original Italian Renaissance style to both the exterior and interior of the building.
The Residences at P.S 186 opened last fall as a mixed-use development with 80 affordable apartments and a new space for The Boys and Girls Club of Harlem. The restored building joined the Enterprise Green Community Program which provides sustainable, environmentally friendly and affordable housing to the community. Adler Windows would like to say a massive congratulations to everyone who was involved in the extraordinary restoration of The Residences at P.S 186.